So along with pageant come those opportunists who's purpose seems to be to criticize, make fun, belittle, bring contention and chase the Spirit away. They are here in force and last night yelling over the fence as the pageant began.
I live next door to one who welcomes them and joins them. She stood near the grounds in pioneer dress with "wife #3" on a sign around her neck. She also wrote a letter to our local paper saying what good people these street preachers are, coming at their own expense, bringing their youth, (sneaking onto the grounds because they have been asked to stay off,) because they love us and that we should not be offended by them and their efforts to save us.
So I have been thinking--why do I get hurt or offended. We send missionaries out. They seek to teach people. Here is my answer. Imagine you are planning a big party. You begin planning a year or more in advance. You spend hours each day for the weeks before preparing and getting everything just right. You ask friends to help you and you are all working together to make this a special event. You invite your family, friends, those you love and others you would like to get to know. Even your next door neighbor. They are all welcome. You have put lots of time and money into all you plans.
People come. They are excited to see you. They want to be a part of your party. Your friend comes too but a few of them won't come in. They stay at the street, greet your company and tell them "She has mice." "She has flies." "She doesn't wash her hands." "If you go in there you'll get sick." "It looks good but she is hiding all the bad parts, believe me." When some of your guest come anyway they yell, shout, and try to interrupt those inside. They call you fools, deceived, stupid. The next day across the fence they smile and say "Don't be offended, I just know better than you what is best for everyone you know".
I think that is why I am tempted to be just a little bit hurt. Why I might wonder why they think this is how friends treat one another. So my example is just a party, but the pageant is very similar. We have worked, planned, practiced, invested, prayed. I don't understand how a mom or dad seeking to be an example for their children would go to somebody else's sacred ground to poke fun and belittle. The pageant is more than just a get together, it is a sharing of those things that I hold sacred and true. Sharing those things that guide my life and bring me the most happiness now and forever.
We believe that all men have the right to worship how, where, or what they may. They are welcome to this same privilege. They can be graceful, plan their own event, invite their target audience but instead they choose to leach off of others work. I can't help but compare them to those in the big and spacious building. We are seeking to hold to the rod and move forward as best we can. They are in the big and spacious building, not completely happy with their choice and yelling out the windows at us for our choices. I do feel sorry for them. I can't imagine they experience much joy. You can feel in your heart the darkness they bring with them. I can't imagine they have much success with their approach. When I see them tearing others down I sure don't feel tempted to be like them or join them.
I do pray for them but I mostly pray for the sweet spirit that accompanies the message of the pageant to continue to touch lives and hearts. I know that it touches mine. I know that I belong to Christ's true church--the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I am not ashamed of my membership in this church. I am not ashamed of early church leaders or polygamy. Joseph Smith did see God the Father and His Son Jesus Christ. We do have living prophets today. God does talk to his people and can witness to me so that I KNOW. I know and I rejoice in that knowledge.
PS In the end, they are more like the flies at your BBQ. They are a nuisance, some are bothered by them or swat at them but in the end they are quickly forgotten and you have had a nice time and made happy memories.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Bye, Sarah Rose
Peter and Rachel's baby girl came too soon and was born with a difficult heart condition on November 13, 2025. Today, we mourned our ...
-
So along with pageant come those opportunists who's purpose seems to be to criticize, make fun, belittle, bring contention and chase the...
-
We have managed to make 25 cake rolls this last month. We are serving a delicious cake roll with strawberry cream cheese filling. They are...
-
Just in the nick of time I arrived to welcome my first grandson to this world, August 14 at 12:31 am. His mommy went completely natural 3 w...
8 comments:
so true....agree 100%...
I heard somewhere someone compare it to the great and spacious building too. If the great and spacious building was so great and spacious, don't you think they'd be having a great time in there...like in the bowling ally or theater in there or something?..... It will never cease to amaze me that they choose to go to the windows and look out instead.
You are an example to the world. I am sorry for those who won't allow you to have the "Pageant" in peace. But like you said...they are quickly forgotten when the light shines so bright.
a wife #3 sign huh?...great. You said all the Christ-like stuff, which I think is well said,and probably all that needs to be said. But I just feel like saying something. They are crazy, disillusioned, mentally ill, humans who don't deserve to be within 1 mile of the Temple spewing that insane crap from the holes in their faces. You can delete this comment if you want. I won't feel bad if you do. That was a great post Becky
Agreed. What's hard about being nice to other peaceful, nice people, unless you are a nasty person?
Mom, you're awesome. I'm so grateful to you for your testimony and your example!
AMEN sister! :)
Yes, amen from Mom while visiting Jen and Mark.
Becky, I couldn't have said it better. I have also had the same thoughts. My feelings have changed a bit as I have watched over the years. Many of our youth in cast missionary, come back stronger for having watched the opposition in action. It does the same for me. I wonder, if they knew how it strengthens many, I doubt they would come at all.
PS You should send a copy to Ellen. Perhaps if she heard your perspective she may question her approach. Maybe.
Post a Comment