Saturday, August 30, 2025

Parade sisters


 We have a community dance group. We meet at the church three times a week for an hour, do yoga, ballet, tap, aerobics, clogging, pilates, and belly dancing.  It is all for free, with members teaching when and what they can.  

Our belly dance teacher is a sweet woman from Ukraine. She shares her love for dance and patiently teaches us to do the best we can. It is a great core workout and challenges my brain to remember routines.  She wanted to do a float in the county fair parade.  Not very many of the women were 'available' to participate. I had not attended class since May, but I wanted to support Anna and the talent she had shared with us.

I was embarrassed and agreed to just throw candy, but when we were all there, just the five of us, I ended up dancing on a moving platform with everyone else.  I grabbed sunglasses, hoping that would make me less recognizable. It did not work.  I remembered the dance quite well.  Did my best. Threw candy often and did not fall. We actually had fun. But then came the kind people who recognized me.  I joked and did not want to admit my choice to be in the parade.  

Then I took time to think about why I had said yes. Here I was again, afraid to say no.  My experience at the first of the week was fresh in my mind.  Why did I say ok? Because I wanted to support these good, kind women.  How do I know they are good and kind? Because they have always welcomed me, even when my attendance is only occasional. I have seen the way they rally around each other, cheer each other on, try new things together, and always love each other for just being themselves.  That is what attracts me to this group. That is why I claim them.  They claimed me first, and second, and each time I show up.  They are a variety of ages, backgrounds, life stages, religions, and even countries, but exercise and sisterhood have beautifully united us.

I have acquaintances that I trust and love because of our shared experience in a dark church cultural hall. We have become friends.  That is why I risked my reputation and said yes.  That is why I tried something scary and found peace, deepening friendship, and a chance to consider the joy of being included.

People told me I was brave.  A granny belly dancing on a float is novel. I hope I can make choices considering all the angles and benefits and then choose to do my best to support and love.

No comments:

Bye, Sarah Rose

  Peter and Rachel's baby girl came too soon and was born with a difficult heart condition on November 13, 2025.  Today, we mourned our ...