- predigests some of the gluten so our bodies can tolerate it better allowing better digestion and absorption of nutrients
- neutralizes phytic acid
- increases nutrients, especially vitamin C, the B vitamins and Carotene
- milder on your blood sugars
- converts starches into vegetable sugars
- turns the grain from an acidic food to alkaline
There are a lot of great resources. This one has been an easy, friendly resource for recipes and ideas on health that use whole foods in ways that I feel good about.
So here is how I am sprouting my wheat.
I pour wheat in a large bowl and cover with clean water at least an inch above the wheat. The wheat will swell so make sure you allow room for the swelling and additional water if needed. Then just let it soak for 12-24 hours.
Then I put it in the colander from my salad spinner because it is big. I rinse it throughout the next 24-36 hours. (My friends family keeps snacking on the grains at this point. Very healthy snack!) If you look close you can see that the grains are developing a little tail. That is the sprout and for our purposes, that is enough.
I put it on my dehydrator trays and dry it at 120 degrees for about 12 hours. My first time I would just taste it at various stages and when it was hard and dry, it was done. Now it can be stored away (maybe in the refrigerator but my house is cool and I use it quickly so it is in my tupperware in the cupboard).
Once completely dry, the grain can be ground in your wheat grinder to make flour. I have found this flour light and mild, easy to cook with. I have also been making crackers with it. Here are the recipes from this same book.
Sprouted Wheat Thins
1 cup sprouted wheat flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbsps. coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup water
Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl, then add wet. Stir until mixture forms a ball of dough. Roll out onto a well buttered cookie sheet. (I do it on my silpat and it works great) Poke dough with a fork and bake for 15 to 20 minutes at 350 or until golden. Remove from oven, and score into small cracker sizes immediately. (I use a pizza cutter).
Good plain or with a dip.
I have had great success with Graham Crackers, too.
2 cups sprouted wheat flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
2 Tbsps. dehydrated cane juice (I use sucanat)
5 Tbsps. liquid sweetener ( used honey)
5 Tbsps melted butter or coconut oil
2-3 Tbsps. water (enough to make a non-sticky ball of dough)
Mix dry ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. Stir in wet ingredients. Roll onto a buttered cookie sheet with a rolling pin (I just used silpat again, no sticking). Score into about 16 large crackers, prick with a fork, and bake for 20 minutes at 350.
pg. 192 Diet Rebel's Cookbook
3 comments:
I gotta try those grahams. Thanks for the recipe.
I tried making bread once where you combine half the flour with the liquids and stuff the night before to try to acheive the same kind of idea. It was alright, but i like the idea of just having it as flour and going from there. Any tips on doing it if I don't have a dehydrator?
awesome!
Post a Comment