Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Betrothal, Bride and Bridegroom

The betrothal of Joseph and Mary as portrayed in Savior of the World.  Micham is Joseph's uncle who has arranged with Mary's father and now Joseph comes to offer the contract:

JOSEPH: Mary, I will betroth you to myself forever, betroth you in righteousness, and in judgment, and in loving kindness. I will betroth you in faithfulness. And you will know the Lord.8
MICHAM: The drink.
(Joseph pours from a pitcher into a cup and places the cup on the table before Mary. Silence.)
FATHER: Now, Mary, it is time for you to choose. Joseph is a good man. If you pledge faithfulness to him, he will provide for you and care for you forever, as a wife and mother in Israel. (Pause) Drink, and you have a covenant. Put it away, and all is forgotten.
MICHAM: You won’t regret it!
WOMEN (Mary’s aunt and cousins): Shhh!
Mary and Joseph are betrothedFATHER: As you choose.
(Mary takes the cup and drinks. All erupt into joyous congratulations.)
MICHAM: Wonderful! Wonderful!
JOSEPH: It is done. You are set apart for me according to the law of Moses and Israel. And one day we’ll be married.



Having attended Savior of the World I have been thinking more about how the betrothal of Joseph and Mary could apply also to us today and our relationship with Jesus.  He is the bridegroom.  We as a church are the bride.  He comes to us and offers himself.   He makes us promises/covenants to provide, protect, and care for us.  He presents the contract.  Our part is simple and we are free to choose to accept this contract (gift).  Like a bride, as we accept the contract we take His name upon us.  We become His.  We are bought with a price (a bride price) and the tokens of that price are in his hands.  Each Sunday in sacrament meeting we renew our commitment to him and our acceptance of his offer.  We do this by partaking of the bread and the water.  We literally take into ourselves the symbols of the covenant.  That covenant then becomes a part of us both physically and spiritually.  And if we are wise it becomes a part of us mentally as well as we put our thoughts of Him and pleasing Him in the forefronts of our minds.  As a good bride we trust Him, care for him and his household, love his family, seek to be wise stewards of those things he offers us.  We grow and flourish under his tender care and we become more than we ever could alone. . . and one day we will be with him again.

5 comments:

Natalie Nicole said...

Nice thoughts, Mom. THanks for sharing,.

Rachel Keppner said...

What beautiful sentiments! I am so inspired by your thoughts today.

Hugs,
Rachel

Becky said...

I just happened upon your blog...and thought I might say...

If you would like to learn more about Christ as the Bridegroom, I would highly recommend "Beloved Bridegroom" by LDS speaker/author Donna B. Nielsen.

It studies/explains the Jewish wedding ceremony beautifully.

Merry Christmas!

(P.S. I am not Donna, I just really enjoyed the book ;)

Rebecca said...

Meg. thank you. I have that book but haven't had time to read it. I'll get to it.

hottbishopbunch said...

One of the Personal Progress goals is to really contemplate the Scrament for 3 weeks as you partake it. As I have done this I have had so many more thoughts. What a privledge it is to do this and so many times we take it for granite.

Bye, Sarah Rose

  Peter and Rachel's baby girl came too soon and was born with a difficult heart condition on November 13, 2025.  Today, we mourned our ...