Monday, January 14, 2013

obedient

Obedient.  My word for this year.  It came to me as the obvious choice yet without backup.  I'm now trying to learn more about obedience. My first thoughts were that I want to be more obedient to the spirit.  I want to be living in such a way that I can recognize the promptings of the spirit and then courageous enough to act.  Too much of my day is spent floating, simply doing what is in front of me at the  moment or if that is unpleasant moving to something else.  I feel a lack of direction and yet I am daily grateful to be a stay at home mom, available to my children, flexible in my schedule.  Though it may not be popular, I want to be obedient to my husband too.

I found this article about helping each other as women and mothers and thought that, yes, a more obedient me would be better at keeping schedules, goals, and more available and sensitive to the people in my ward and neighborhood.

Then I read this great post about avodah.  I was ready to abandon my word and just go with her but then thought it would be more obedient and better to trust the direction I had received.  I love when words are figured out, roots, true meaning reveled.  So I'm trying to figure it out.

etymology:



obey (v.) Look up obey at Dictionary.com
late 13c., from O.Fr. obeir "obey, be obedient, do one's duty" (12c.), from L. obedireoboedire "obey, be subject, serve; pay attention to, give ear," lit. "listen to," from ob "to" (see ob-) + audire "listen, hear" (see audience)


Another source said "Hearken".   This to me is exciting.   I want to be inspired, taught and changed. As I discover more I intend to share.  

. . . and another quote to share and delve into 
 President Ezra Taft Benson put it most poignantly when he said, “When obedience ceases to be an irritant and becomes our quest, in that moment God will endow us with power.”

grateful:
341 homemade bagels for breakfast
342 fresh strawberries from my bountiful basket
343 online etymology sources
344 I might learn some Hebreww
345 Heavenly Father knows me and what I need to discover this year in choosing a word.
346 Happy voices doing breakfast dishes.
347 sub zero temperatures outside are not even noticed inside.
348 my first lesson with the new youth learning curriculum resulted in more discussion and sharing. 
349 My Heavenly Father loves me!
350 new stake calendar

1 comment:

Rachel Keppner said...

You're really inspiring me! I love to read how you trusted the answer you got for YOU. I know I often look at how neat other people are, and wonder if I should change my focus. You've reminded me that I need to trust Heavenly Father's inspiration for me and my circumstances.

Bless you! :-)

Bye, Sarah Rose

  Peter and Rachel's baby girl came too soon and was born with a difficult heart condition on November 13, 2025.  Today, we mourned our ...