Monday, February 4, 2013

Granola

This granola has been a family favorite for years.  I got the orginal recipe from my sil Lauri.  Funny part is, it never taste the same when I make it.  Lots of room for variety.



Granola

8 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
6 cups rolled wheat (can do more oats if you can't find wheat)
1 cup nuts/seeds (walnuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds)
1 cup wheat germ (when I have it)
1 cup coconut/raisins/craisins/dried fruit

Combine together in very large bowl.  In a saucepan combine:

2 cups honey or 1 cup honey and 1 1/2 cup brown sugar (or what ever sweeteners you like)
1 cup oil (sometimes I do part applesauce)
1/2 cup water 
1 Tablespoon salt

Bring to a boil, remove from heat and then add:
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Pour over dry ingredients.  Split between 3 cookie sheets and bake in 325 degree oven for 15 minutes and then I switch the top and bottom sheets and bake for another 15 minutes.  Cool and put in handy containers like these from tupperware.  Enjoy.  We usually just eat it with milk but have done granola with yogurt and even tried having it cooked in milk on the stove for a hot cereal.  Fresh fruit is always good with it.



Grateful:
364 whole grain goodness
365 a place to put our favorite recipes
366 mormonchannel.org.  I am having so much fun discovering there different series and the fun videos.
367 New parts to fix my washing machine should come this week.
368 expecting weather all the way up in the 40s this week.  It feels like spring after that super cold spell we had
369 business is picking up and that makes Mr. O very happy


2 comments:

Anna said...

So funny that you posted this today because that is just what I'm doing today - making more granola. that is what casen asks for every morning for breakfast. with strawberries. although this morning he asked for it with green beans? i'm tickled he loves the beans, but we may need to have a short lesson on appropriate foods for different meals. we did end up eating fresh green beans from our bountiful baskets though. anyway, i agree, every batch of granola tastes differently! so yummy! happy monday.

Elise said...

yummm we love granola, now all i need are those nice tuperwares....

Bye, Sarah Rose

  Peter and Rachel's baby girl came too soon and was born with a difficult heart condition on November 13, 2025.  Today, we mourned our ...