Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Continue as you commence

In Doctrine and Covenants I read this morning
"... it is because that you did not continue as you commenced... that I have taken away this privilege" D&C 9:5
When I feel inspired to do something, I pray for direction.  I pray for strength and courage, I look for ways to make it happen.  I am wanting to succeed, move forward, accomplish something good.  I often feel inadequate and need to trust my Heavenly Father.
So what happens between that and the middle where I seem to lose steam, or forget where my strength comes from, or slip off in the wrong direction?
"... but you feared, and the time is past," D&C 9:11
There are certain things I am asked to do.  I have the privilege of saying Yes.  With that Yes comes responsibility to continue as I commenced.  Because I feel that something is right and pleasing to God does not mean that I can suppose that He would give it unto me.
If I stumble.  If I doubt or hesitate or procrastinate or let my fear of the unknown paralyze me then the time may pass. The Yes needs to be for the whole experience.  A journey or adventure is always more exciting at the beginning. It is when the mountain gets steep or the sun gets hot or the thirst becomes great that we wonder if we should go on.  It's when we are in the woods and can not see clearly the destination that we doubt our path.
"For, do you not behold that I have given unto my servant sufficient strength, whereby it is made up?" v.12
We are invited to be tools in his hands.  We are invited to be enabled in our ability to truly serve through his love.  We are not amazing power tools ready to do all the work.  We are more like the rough materials that tools can be made of - with effort, refining, time, and patience.  He knows we will make mistakes and has provided more than one way for his work to move forward but
"...neither of you have I condemned."
He is ready and willing to forgive my shortcomings, my weakness.  He trusts me and loves me enough to forgive me and even let me try again.  Like a young child learning to walk, if I am willing to get up he will help me and cheer me on and see me succeed.
"Do this thing which I have commanded you, and you shall prosper.  Be faithful, and yield to no temptation.  Stand fast in the work wherewith I have called you..." v 13-14
As I answer each call with Yes I am submitting to the master's plan.  When I continue as I commenced I will be blessed to reach the destination he has planned for me.

Grateful:
602 Those who stand fast in the work wherewith they are called.
603  for a place to share today's study and scripture insights.  Please respect my testimony, my simple way of putting things together and learning a message directed right at me.
604 adult jazz class and a chance to move in new ways.
605 that I can make delicious cookies.  Wanting strength to stop with just one cookie.

1 comment:

Bluebird & Company said...

Those are really good thoughts. They sort of sting though. In a good, difficult, what-doesn't-kill-you-makes-you-stronger, growing sort of way. I have never said no to any calling but I have been torn recently with a few callings that I just felt like I could not do and be pregnant at the same time. (at least not all of them) I know that I can do hard things. Especially with God. But sometimes I wonder if we spin ourselves in circles mindlessly keeping busy with meetings and frivolous things.
I know that's not what you meant in your post....I'm just going off now. :) I think I am going through a burn-out phase right now. :)
I know the scriptures are true. and that's probably why sometimes the things we/I learn sting a bit. I am a natural woman. I want to simplify my life but also be superwoman. It's a hard balance to find.
I love your thoughts. I respect your wisdom and I love that you share it so willingly and courageously!
I wish I could join you for scripture study ;) So many great insights and thoughts!
I just wish I could be less fearful and have more faith(and energy).
p.s. I never only eat one cookie either :)

Bye, Sarah Rose

  Peter and Rachel's baby girl came too soon and was born with a difficult heart condition on November 13, 2025.  Today, we mourned our ...