Though we don't look beautiful and put together, we are real and genuine. That is how our friendship is. There is no need to put up a front or pretend in any way. Its a safe place for which I am so grateful.
Laurie is one of those people who loves others and gives everything. I think she was guided to know that I needed a friend. She initiated things together, like walking every morning at 5:45 which got me up and moving and provided a platform for sharing hopes, dreams, and insights. She always acted like I was doing her a favor and yet I know that she has pulled me out of my cave, out of my comfort zone, out of my pity party where I thought I had no friends and welcomed me into her family, her friends and her life. We have had so much fun over the years. Our children have become best of friends too. It is so good to have friends with common interests, goals, and especially standards.
When I had my accident in August, Laurie did not forget me nor did she let me hide or sit home. She called or came by daily. We went on walks together where she would push a wheelchair so that when I had done as much as I could, she would push me. We advanced to a cane and then to just holding her arm when necessary. Each small and slow step of the way she treated me like I was someone special. She treated me with a value and worth that I didn't always feel and it was a huge and happy part of each day.
I am so grateful for her. Glad she has taught me what a true friend is and has always been there for me. She has taught me patience. She has taught me unconditional love. She has taught me that it is fun to share insights and "ah ha's" as well as fears and concerns. We share our journey from large family mother to grandmother and mother in law with all of its new challenges and joys. We have shared our callings and attitudes as we accept the challenge of new callings and new wards. I know when she is around I have a good friend nearby who truly would do anything for me. I hope and pray that she realizes her worth and that I, too, would do anything for her. I look up to her and would love to be more like her in so many ways. She is my friend, my teacher, my hero and my sister.

No comments:
Post a Comment