On May 15, 1829, Joseph Smith asked about baptism and authority to baptize. His question opened the restoration of the Aaronic priesthood by John the Baptist to both Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery. John then directed them to baptize each other.
One January 7, 2020, my youngest son, Simeon, was ordained to the office of priest in the Aaronic priesthood by his father. He, too, has the authority to baptize. Today I got to go with him to the temple to participate in baptisms for the dead.
As we waited for our turn I noticed on the wall a scripture quote from Joseph Smith-History 1. It said,
He commanded us to go and be baptized, and gave us directions that I should baptize Oliver Cowdery, and that afterwards he should baptize me. Immediately on our coming up out of the water after we had been baptized, we experienced great and glorious blessings from our Heavenly Father. (Pearl of Great Price 56:70)Simeon and I entered the font. Milt was in the position as witness. He patiently showed me how he would do it and we began and were able to do five names. He humbly and meekly baptized me. I left the font and his good friend Matthew entered and his father became the other witness. Matthew had also recently been ordained a priest. Simeon baptized Matthew for five names and then Matthew baptized Simeon for five. I stood there dripping and trying to make a mental memory of those two good friends baptizing one another with authority from God, similar to Joseph and Oliver over 200 years ago. They each had their fathers, also faithful and worthy priesthood holders, watching over them and silently cheering them on.
As I reviewed the scripture, I can't help but hope and believe that we, too, are experiencing "great and glorious blessings" immediately as we have the privilege of regularly participating in temple worship and seeking to live God's way daily. I am full of gratitude and pride in opportunities that are available when we walk the covenant path. . . especially with family and friends.

No comments:
Post a Comment