Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Littles, again

I got a phone call that put me on a plane.  My daughter in Texas needed me.  After bravely surviving her husband's minor stroke, juggling girls, getting him home from the hospital, she still need support and help.  A stroke for a young 32 year old husband and father of 2 little girls can be a bit terrifying.  For B it resulted in some very real anxiety issues.  He ended up back in the hospital before I could even get there. My job was to watch my granddaughters, ease the household burdens and support where I could.




My sweet little girl left her husband in hospital, packed up her two little children and picked me up from the airport.  Come to find out she had a bit of stomach flu going on.  Part way home I took over driving and while stopped at a light, she was vomiting out the open door.  Boy did I feel needed and wanted :)

Brian came home from the hospital and they were so glad to have him there but he continued to struggle.  It is so hard to understand what someone else is going through.  We just wanted to help him get better but it required patience for all of us.  I think I was able to distract and entertain, cook and shop in ways that helped.  I was also able to keep up with my own school work and find a gathering to attend.


Valentine's Day was special as Emily did some sweet things like these hearts that listed things that she and Brian love about their girls.  She made sugar cookies with them, decorated their home, had a special dinner.  I loved being there for the fun times too.  I got to virtually celebrate Simeon's 16 birthday knowing that he had lots of friends and family at home celebrating with and watching over him.



We played at a really fun park once B was up to staying home alone and even got to go out for lunch.  All three of these girls loved being outside and enjoying a sunny day. We also got to inspect the progress on the home they are having built and looking forward to moving into next month.


This was my effort to do a selfie with E and E.  They are beautiful little girls and I was glad to get to know them and create some fun memories with them.  I was there from Tuesday until Sunday.  I was blessed with patience, wisdom and help beyond my own, and energy to keep up with all that was asked of me.  God is so good.  He blessed me in so many ways that made me equal to the challenge laid before me.

Emily and Brian were both a little nervous about being left without an extra adult to help out when times got hard.  I knew it was hard. I worried about them too. The decision to go home anyway was prayerfully made accompanied by tears, as well as faith that this cute little family was in the Lord's hands. God is faithful.

I got home in time for my previous engagement to watch Peter's three kids while he and Rachel got to go on a cruise.  The kids were at my house, parents had left but my family at home had made a delicious dinner and were just sitting down.  I got to spend the next 3 1/2 days as Granny to almost 1, almost 3 and almost 5 year old cuties.  Lucky for me Monday was a holiday and my teenagers helped out as I transitioned to my next granny opp.  

To keep things interesting
1. my refrigerator quit working. The part won't be here for at least a week.
2. faucet handle broke but Simeon fixed it
3. Milt left town for the week
4. the printer quit working as I try to get on top of school work and household paperwork.
5. computer started acting up
6. toilet has been leaking for a week
7. my patience continued
8. Q takes two 2-hour naps daily
9. bed time is 7:30
10. these kids are helpful, obedient, and cheerful
11. I got to read to them, color, learn about loaders, track hoes, and Tractor Ted, watch Lion King, take care of their dog and hear them pray.  
12. help with potty training while M lets me know that I should have a stool and she doesn't like my toilet seat and she will only use the 'girls' bathroom.
13. Forgot to take pictures.


I didn't know I could do it all. I now know that I didn't do it alone.  I had heavenly help.  God raised me up to meet the challenges and showed me that I could do and be more than I thought I could.

I took these three up to their other grandma's house and now its is up to me to get back to temple days, homework, being lead student tomorrow, rs presidency responsibilities, bringing order to my home and hopefully making some better food choices and replenishing the energy reserves that served me so very well.  I feel grateful and blessed for the support of my family and their help too.  My husband carried so much of the responsibilities at home when I made a sudden week long trip to Texas.  He is such a support to me and to our family. I love Milt. I love God. I love my family. I love my life. I love the atonement of Jesus Christ that enables me to do and be more of what He would have me be.

PEACE that passes understanding. Understanding that brings peace.

No comments:

Bye, Sarah Rose

  Peter and Rachel's baby girl came too soon and was born with a difficult heart condition on November 13, 2025.  Today, we mourned our ...