Thursday, August 27, 2009

Back to School

My public school student half way through his first day comes home hungry for lunch. He looked great in his western wear. Didn't get much cooperation for a first-day-of-school picture so we kept them all casual. Can't seem to get enough food to fill up those long legs though.
We have been enjoying our first week of school. We have some great ideas planned and are excited to share as we go. School began on Monday with some great self directed learning as well as being anxious to jump into math and reading.

Doodle is anxious to be a part of it all and is sharing with her baby.


I think tall one is enjoying a full day at home. We waved as the bus went by and cheered because we got to keep this one home.


Tuesday brought our first field trip to Thanksgiving Point. It was crowded but great fun. It was our first trip to the gardens and a beautiful day for it. I wish my backyard was this much fun.






We are using the Story of the World, Volume 1, by Susan Wise Bauer and have the workbook too. Our first lesson was great fun. We introduced history, historians, and archaeologists. Lucky for us we had access to a dig in our own backyard. Tall One had planted the artifacts and we had a great time digging and mapping out our discoveries.

From the things we found the people in this area have fabric, plactic, bricks, concrete, nails, toy cars, twine, glass, and lawn mower wheels. They also planted gardens and left the plant tags in the soil. They must be very happy, successful people who work hard and love life.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Momma! That looks like so much fun! Dane does look extra LONG in that picture! I love you alL!

Anonymous said...

PS Peter does look smashing in that western shirt. I like it a lot!

Natalie said...

Wow, what fun! I like the people who left their things behind for you to find- I think they were good and hardworking! ;) You all look great!!!

Lauri said...

School-time. Yaaayyyyy!

Bye, Sarah Rose

  Peter and Rachel's baby girl came too soon and was born with a difficult heart condition on November 13, 2025.  Today, we mourned our ...