We then hurried home to prepare for Ben's baptism. Ben is Peter's best friend through high school. They worked together on a farm each summer. Last fall Peter asked Ben why he wasn't a member of the church. That led to many gospel discussions between the two of them which eventually led to missionary discussions. Saturday night Peter baptized his best friend. He had shared his most precious possession - the gospel of Jesus Christ. Ben accepted this gift, accepted his Savior and took upon himself Christ's name and promised to always remember Him and keep His commandments. There was true joy on each face as Ben came up out of the water and the two of them embraced.
Ben has been well supported by many friends and family members too. There is nothing so contagious as the joy that comes as you share the gospel and watch someone accept Christ and make those sacred covenants.
So during the baptism Natalie snuck into the baptism with her boyfriend William. She had brought him home to get to know the family. We stayed up late playing games and my version of 20 questions (poor guy handled it very well). Sunday brought our church meetings and a family dinner with the extended family. More people for William to meet and be quizzed by. I do realize we were also being quizzed and watched. Mr. O. did take William aside for an "interview". I suggested he ask about William's intentions, future plans, feelings about women and motherhood, religious and moral standing, and anything else that goes with Mr. O's job of protecting our family. They both seemed to enjoy the interview. After dinner the young couple left to go back to school. I really didn't know where we were headed next.Since I have not yet mastered patience it is a good thing I didn't have to wonder for long. Apparently we passed the test. By 12:30 today as I was getting my hair cut I got a call from Natalie letting me know that she had a RING on her finger! Now that was quick. The odd part is I am fine with that. He is an answer to many prayers on behalf of Natalie and the fine young man she would marry some day. He has so many of the qualities and standards that I have hoped for. He will take very good care of her. He will love and cherish her. Together they will raise up a righteous family to the Lord.
Then I get a call from my mom asking if maybe they could just get married tomorrow so that she will still be around for the wedding. Yikes. I actually like the idea but I don't see it happening. Maybe August or September.
The rest of the afternoon was a blur as I tried to get as much information as possible, run to soccer games and host our Five Thousand Year Leap study group/family night that we do with 2 other wonderful families.
I was hoping tomorrow would slow down so I could get to some reading, studying and pondering of my own. I am finding so many great talks and books that I would love to share once I have a chance to read them. Already it is looking full. Life is good and I need to make sure I am getting those 'best' things in first. I feel very blessed. I feel my Heavenly Father's love and hand in my life.
Another happy day in our family!
6 comments:
ewww.... That's a great picture of me!!1 :) We are VERY excited for Natalie!!! Congrats!!!
Wow! You are having 'Mother's Day' early this year. Baptism and engagements, you can't top a weekend like that! It will be fun for you to try, though. How 'bout mission and marriage?
how exciting! we are excited for Natalie, too. I think it's funny that you just posted a pic of her with the old boyfriend. maybe you could photoshop William's head over Jake's, like Mom was going to do when she had me sit on John's lap for pictures! hahaha :) Wish I was closer to be in on the planning!!
Oh Mom, aren't you great! It was quite an eventful weekend, wasn't it? You and Dad have done such a great job with our family- I love us! :) Thanks for being so happy for me!
we are so HAPPY and THRILLED for Nat! made my day yesterday when she told me. couldn't stop smiling the rest of the day!!! congrats to her and Pete! what a stud.
What a great weekend! I'm so excited for Natalie!!
Post a Comment