Thursday, November 17, 2016

unwrap the gifts


I love Meg Johnson.  She inspires me in new ways since my accident.  I know I haven't had near the same challenges but they are enough for me and I sometimes struggle.  I am amazed by her attitude and willingness to make the most of life, enjoy life.  In this recent article she said:
The Perfect Gift by Meg Johnson, LDS Living Nov/Dec 2016 p. 18
"After all, independence isn't the plan. It never was. We weren't sent to earth to see how much we can do all by ourselves but, rather, to see how well we can share the gifts we bring with us and how well we can unwrap the gifts we see in each other. And to see how much we can rely on God."
 One of the hardest things can be to have to ask for help or even accept the help that is offered.  We think we have to do it all ourselves. There is no weakness in receiving help.  In fact, there is actually a synergy of strength that happens when we gratefully give and accept help.  All are blessed. All are edified together. It is how we can "unwrap the gifts we see in each other". Sharing a moment brings friends closer, family closer, and even strangers become more real when we combine our efforts toward success.

Yesterday a friend saw me for the first time since the accident.  She expressed her gratitude that  I was doing so well.  She lifted me by saying that she was really grateful I still had my smile.  It is the same as always. I didn't realize my smile stood out on its own but apparently even a smile can brighten someones day. Her mentioning it did brighten my day. I am glad I can smile, laugh, see, talk, think. walk, function in so many ways.  I feel like this experience has given me a fresh look at all those things that I was taking for granted and now I am unwrapping them as if they are new gifts. Little comments like that remind me of the goodness of others as well as the miracles I have seen. It has been amazing to still meet people who are concerned and truly care about me and my progress. The world really is a small place full of really good people who love.

Grateful:

  • If it weren't for those times when we have opposition we wouldn't realize there are miracles daily that guide and protect us that we just don't recognize because our angels are so good at what they do.
  • Things I am still hoping for - bladder control improvement, food to taste good again, and that extra moon on my fingernails to grow all the way out.
  • Snow today
  • easy donuts made out of those biscuits in the refrigerator section.  I got to whip up donuts for my grandkids with little effort or mess.
  • warm fires heating my home
  • Ellen called and offered to get us a Christmas tree tag
  • my car heater works and I have a new winter coat

No comments:

Bye, Sarah Rose

  Peter and Rachel's baby girl came too soon and was born with a difficult heart condition on November 13, 2025.  Today, we mourned our ...