Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Direction needed--my thoughts

Having just listened to a talk on being better I feel that it has come at a time when I so need the reminder—not just to be better but to not be scattered doing many things and still feeling like I am getting absolutely nothing of value done or complete. “Doing more things faster is not a substitute for doing the right thing” was a good starting point to make me think about where I am headed. If I don’t know where I am going or even which direction I am pointing, it is not very likely I will get someplace worth being. Basically, I need direction; I need priorities written down so that I don’t forget them. It is way too easy to wander from one good thing to another. I don’t get distracted too often by bad things just too many good things. “Don’t let the things that matter most be at the mercy of those things that matter least” (David O. McKay). I want to have purpose, a plan, a mission. I pray that I may know what is most needful. Thinking of Mary and Martha and Thanksgiving dinner, I could easily be distracted by the food preparations and martyrdom of being mom and forget the building of relationships and happy family memories. What is my focus? What do I really want the end result to be—is it just good food or is it a warm feeling at the end of the day that lets me know that it was a day that will live on because we enjoyed being together counting our blessings.
Ultimately, at the end of the day—every day—can I say that I have been guided by the spirit in what I have done, felt, given, thought and that I am acting on that guidance. As I set priorities, are they His for me? Am I moving forward in my mission and purpose? Am I allowing my children the same privilege? Am I becoming what He would have me be?

3 comments:

The Petersons said...

Good thoughts. I think you are doing great with it all.

The Petersons said...

Good thoughts. I think you are doing great with it all.

Julie said...

Thanks for writing your thoughts down...I need to hear it too.

Bye, Sarah Rose

  Peter and Rachel's baby girl came too soon and was born with a difficult heart condition on November 13, 2025.  Today, we mourned our ...