Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Obama's speech

I read President Obama's speech this morning. It wasn't very scary. He had some good ideas. Kids should stay in school. (being a home schooler I must say that it would make more sense to me to encourage children to continually further their education, learn all they can, school is not going to solve every problem but that is another post) Basically I can't offer a specific example of what I didn't like but I can say that I don't like him. I don't like the attitude he expresses over everything that says we are not good. We are not good enough. He seemed to be talking as if no one would choose to stay in school on their own. He is there to encourage them to tough it out. That it will be worth it and you owe it to yourself and your country. It is a subtle attitude that always comes through. Our country is not great - it needs fixing. The people are not doing enough. . . I just feel like he considers it his job is to fix the country, the economy, the health care, the education. If we would just help him do it his way then we might have a great country.

I want to be a great American. I live in a great country where good people have opportunities to create great futures for themselves. We are an independent nation. Our federal government is there to protect our freedoms - not to fix us, give us everything, provide for any need they may foresee. They are there to provide an environment where we can work hard, progress, make mistakes and learn from the consequences of those mistakes, and also reap the blessings and benefits that come from hard work, effort, innovation and choosing to serve others when we see a need. We can be a friend. We can reach out to others. We can build great communities without being told to. I live in a great country. One of the best things I can do to make this country great is to focus on raising a spiritually strong family with Godly values of hard work, charity, and leadership.

I think I'm done with my political posts. Thanks for putting up with me. If you want to read President Obama's speech I found it through a link on ksl.com. You are welcome to share with me your thoughts.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

I have a class on the American Presidency and this got brought up. Before disucssing it at all, our professor asked us all to read it before class on Thursday for more discussion. I haven't yet looked it up and read it, but my thoughts right now, after hearing several people say that he didn't say anything TERRIBLE, is that, really, I don't care a lot what was said. (That opinion might change after I read it!) Mostly I don't like the fact that he felt like it was within his constitutional powers to address the schools, to ask them to do certain things with their curriculum. If it's not about brain-washing kids or having public schools turn more to the federal government for guidance and support, it's about the fact that he's overstepping his boundaries and we're sitting here letting him do it! He's our president. We need to keep him in check and asure that he is serving US. Pleas to us to serve and support him shouldn't be the objective.
Wow, long shpeel, but there it is. I may have more to share afterwards.

Bye, Sarah Rose

  Peter and Rachel's baby girl came too soon and was born with a difficult heart condition on November 13, 2025.  Today, we mourned our ...