Thursday, September 1, 2011

Headed back to school

. . . or actually back to routines for learning and fun.  I have spent this week worrying, reading, researching, and planning our new school year.  I should have done it all summer but there was no schedule--so nothing happened like I thought it would.   I am following some great ideas on Ambleside Online and Milestone Academy.  I am feeling really good about short lessons every day and using living books.  Then the fun sets in as we enjoy time outdoors with our nature notebooks.  I keep in the back of my mind the headgates ideas.  I have continued to feel really good about the choices we have made in simplifying our home and play.  There are many things I am still sorting out but so far I don't miss the things we have eliminated.

My plan is for Sunshine and Doodle to both do Year 1 and Ike to do Year 3.  If they happen to need more challenge, we will adjust.
(My efforts at school pictures and playing with picasa editing.  It has been fun to see looks and colors change but I really don't know what I am doing.  I do know I need more practice.  Do you have a favorite effect on Picasa? or any pointers for that matter. I do know that school pictures with the photographer sure get pricey.)



Our schedule for this year looks like this
5:15 my personal time
6:15 exercise
6:45 wake kids from morning routine (make bed, prayer, get dressed, tidy room, hair and teeth)
7:00 family devotional
7:30 breakfast, get Tall One out the door for seminary
8:00 piano practice and kitchen clean up, feed the animals
8:30 family work (cleaning, garden, house projects)
9:30 school time
12:00 lunch and clean up
1:00 family reading
2:00 free time within set parameters.
4:30 prepare dinner
5:30 dinner
6:30 evening routine, prepare for tomorrow
7:30 bed time for kids, my study time, husband time, wind down time (or catch up).

Now that it is written down I will work on implementation.



4 comments:

Lauri said...

Yay, for schedules!

Natalie Nicole said...

Love that it looks like Tall One tolerated pictures and Sunshine cheesed it like crazy. Fun stuff and the schedule looks great!

Marilyn said...

I think my personal time would be in bed asleep. The rest sounds good. What time is bed time, so I won't call too late.

amberjill said...

I did my schedule today, too! I'll have to follow your links for what you will be doing. We are starting tomorrow! :)

Bye, Sarah Rose

  Peter and Rachel's baby girl came too soon and was born with a difficult heart condition on November 13, 2025.  Today, we mourned our ...