Wednesday, June 25, 2014

a new calling

In our church we accept callings.  We are willing to recognize our leaders as called of God and having stewardship over our ward congregation.  We don't ask for or aspire to positions.  We wait and trust that the Lord knows what is best and will reveal to our leaders the proper order in our ward.  Youth group leaders (young mens and young womens) are expected to be very good with youth.  They have a huge responsibility to be good examples, wise, humble, prayerful, with lots of good ideas, energy, and talents. You do not apply for the job or prepare an amazing portfolio for the very important position of shaping and guiding our next leaders.  You simple say, "OK, I'll do my best".

Normally a president is called.  They are given time to learn about the program, time to prayerfully select counselors and then together they begin this new journey with youth and parents trusting that you will in fact, learn the ropes and do your best and be an influence for good.

Sunday was not my day to play piano in primary.  In the summer we take off for cub scouts.  My responsibilities were few.  My baby girl is turning 8 next month and I went with her to visit with the bishop about her upcoming baptism.  I had not even a hunch that my life was about to change.

After the bishop finished talking to Debbie, he turned to me and shared how the Lord had told him very strongly that I am to be the new Young Women's president.  I cried, expressed my fear.  He gave me a steady look and said, will you.  Despite the immediate doubts in my ability or desire for such a position, I said yes.  Girls camp is in 3 weeks and he does not want to mess with anything else so he asked that we not change anything in the organization.  An hour later I was at a meeting about girls camp and then in sacrament meeting where my name was offered and sustained. During Sunday school I was set apart and by the third hour of church I was in young women's class and attended a class presidency meeting afterward.

My mind has been whirling.  My heart pounding. My eyes leaking.  I wonder how, and what, and why.  The amazing part is that I am feeling a peace.  I almost fight the peace and feel like I should be in a crazy panic but there is a sweet peace that says it will all work out.  My family is already very busy with lots of wonderful events.  We have a baptism with lots of family coming.  A missionary farewell with lots of family coming.  A new grandbaby coming in 3 weeks as well as girls camp.  My missionary leaves the end of the month.  To finish this month we have guests coming to stay with us for pageant and my sweet daughter is bringing home her boyfriend to meet us and he and his family will stay with us so they can also attend pageant.

Each time I list it all out I think "AAAAyyeee!".  But I don't feel it.  I feel like it will all work out.  I don't know how but I want to focus on the peace and move forward daily with steps that bring order to my life and create balance.  I want to learn to manage my time better and to certainly not just manage whatever is loudest at the moment.  I want to celebrate my missionary and maybe do his eagle court of honor also.  I want time to prepare my daughter for her baptism that it may be a very important and special step in her life that she begin with understanding and with increased testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ.  I want to support my bishop, magnify my calling, create unity in my presidency and in all the young women's program and I want to make sure that I always take time to prepare each day to have the spirit guiding me because I have taken time to study, pray, and journal every quiet whisper he blesses me with.

Other than a few goals to get accomplished by the end of July, I'm enjoying the lazy days of summer.  I might have to make another batch of Popsicles.  Maybe I'll delegate that one.  :)

Grateful:
651 The Joyful Burden of Discipleship 
652 That amazing women are blessing my life
653 amazing Young Women are entering my life and inspiring me
654 Tender mercies that are simplifying my day and it happened yesterday too!  Traded principle part dates with the other Lucy.  Cabin suddenly available for an extra friend and her family.  Thoughtful friend that volunteered to cover at tonight's pageant dinners.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love you! You are going to be great! And I am glad that everything is working out this weekend. It's gonna be wonderful.

Bye, Sarah Rose

  Peter and Rachel's baby girl came too soon and was born with a difficult heart condition on November 13, 2025.  Today, we mourned our ...