Wednesday, June 25, 2014

oops, is it worth it

So I have been trying to get new carpet in the library.  I finally got paint in my living room but haven't loved the color.  Now I'm thinking that it is a good thing I didn't replace or repaint yet.  Yesterday I found scribbling on my walls and trim.  The freshest, newest paint in the house.  The room where I haven't even dared put up pictures is now colored on.



Tonight I came home late to find Daisy's, our 1 year old dog, paws white.  I found white smeared on the floor.  It looked like paint?  I found paw paint prints in the kitchen.  We found a bucket of paint spilled in the back hall and more prints in the back bedroom on the carpet.  Then I found paw prints on the library carpet. The very carpet that I had hoped to replace and grateful that we haven't yet.  And it was actually the blue of our library walls.




One of the many frustrations of animals.  Once the deed is done and over, the teaching opportunity is past.  All that is left is for the humans in my house to learn from the mistake.  Trash cans were tipped over and chewed up trash left around.  Not happy.  No one to yell at.

So my thoughts have turned to "Is it worth it?"  Would I rather not let a dog in the house?  There are actually lots of nice things about pets too and this was really a people training problem.  What about the coloring on the wall?  Should I guard my house and monitor the children closely or insist that the parent always be near by?  I don't think so.  If the price of having others feel welcome in my home, cousin time and freedom to play was that I might get a little drawing on the wall occasionally, then it is worth the risk.

The paint has been cleaned up.  The guests in our home that probably could be blamed a little never saw the mess.  Really it comes down to my own choices and lack of communication and training.  I would love a picture perfect home and new carpet but for now I will enjoy the experiences of having people in my life and count the good and the bad as a blessing.

Grateful:
645 for time to be calm, deal with the mess and ponder
646 really great cleaning help from my guests.  My love language is service
647 berry cheesecake at kneaders
648 another great evening of training with Kirk Duncan
649 my family is all safely home and heading to bed
650 my daughter is falling in love with a very good man


No comments:

Bye, Sarah Rose

  Peter and Rachel's baby girl came too soon and was born with a difficult heart condition on November 13, 2025.  Today, we mourned our ...