Friday, October 7, 2016

I'm still here

Yesterday I had my follow up appointment with Dr. MacDonald.  He said I was doing fine, reviewed with my what was done and suggested that anything I do that is faster than I can run should be done with a helmet on.  I think I should find a good comfortable helmet, not my favorite thing but neither are head injuries.

I've learned a lot about that first day.  As Dr. MacDonald shared what was done he mentions the seriousness of the injury.  Apparently there are 3 layers that surround the brain.  The layer closest to the skull is also the thickest, like leather. It adheres to the skull.  My injury caused this epidural layer to rip away from the skull creating a pocket where blood pooled and clotted putting dangerous pressure on the cerebrum.  He said when he began surgery I was already dying.  I started asking more questions.  Apparently the ER doctor's first notes were "Patient is unresponsive and organs are shutting down." My sister told me that they were discussing how to harvest my organs when Dr. MacDonald came in, looked at my eyes and immediately took me into surgery.  While all this scares me a little bit I am learning to be grateful that I am still here, very grateful. I tried to thank the doctor but he seemed very uncomfortable with my efforts. I feel very grateful that my loving Heavenly Father heard and answered the prayers of my family. I have learned that it would have been very hard on them. I love to think about the ways that everything came together to save me. When I fell no one was around but very soon my sister found me.  She did not hesitate to call an ambulance. The doctor and his team happened to be there, recognized what needed to be done and did it. The outcome could have and maybe should have been different but I am so very grateful to be given a chance to keep living.  I am slower now. I am learning patience but I am also experiencing wonder. Wonder of the world around me, wonder at the amazing people that care about me and continue to serve and love me. I have a sense of wonder as I learn about the atonement of Jesus Christ and the many ways it can help me. I am amazed at so many people who have valiantly gone through challenges and continue to move forward. There is much good in the world.  There is a place for seeing the good, loving others, being an answer to prayers.

I am still here.  I get to keep serving and loving and being.  I get to see my family learn and grow. They are amazing and I am seeing a whole new side of them for which I am grateful.  I like my family and I want them to know that I love them and enjoy them.  It is not about me. It is about submitting to the will of my Father and loving others.

Some great songs
It's gonna be okay piano guys
Beautiful you
Hillary Weeks: Love your Life
Kenneth Cope - Broken
Priceless

Grateful:

  • I shaved my legs standing up
  • I got a foot zone and learned a lot of good stuff
  • I spent the day with Emily and her appointment went well
  • I visited my sister Julie and we laid around comparing symptoms and struggles and wish we could find answers.
  • I figured out that my horrible cough was a result of walnuts
  • I can read. My eyes are settling down..
  • update:  3/7/17 I have since learned that the part about harvesting organs was not true.  I am glad.  It was hard for me to think about.



No comments:

Bye, Sarah Rose

  Peter and Rachel's baby girl came too soon and was born with a difficult heart condition on November 13, 2025.  Today, we mourned our ...