Saturday, May 13, 2017

work and play make a great family

I love family time.  It is those quiet moments when we don't have the distractions of devices. Those moments when we let all the other worries and responsibilities alone and choose to be present.  When we choose family time we strengthen relationships.  It is so validating and good to have someone choose you.  It is huge to be able to give that gift to my children, my husband.

yard work
 I do find that the distractions of daily living take over unless we make an effort.  Family time can look different at different times.  I love when my family comes together for a project.  Our most recent project has been wedding preparations.  We have been house cleaning, baking, doing big yard projects.  I have come to know that family work time has many benefits.  It creates a unified front when we have big things to face.  It teaches loyalty, work ethic, family unity and being able to depend on each other.  It helps a child know that they have an ability to help in ways that truly bless the family. That we need each of them.
new shrubs

Family fun time can include work time together.  When we can make work fun, singing, teasing, laughing then it becomes fun time too.  As the work goals are reached then the fun is so much more rewarding as you head out to get shakes or plan a special movie night. We don't go out very much to eat, recreate . . .  I think I would like to do it more often.  It is fun that it is not a common thing, its special.  "Special" needs to be planned into the schedule also.  Making time together to just play has huge benefits also.  It says I  want to be with you. I am willing to spend (or make) free time to be with you.  You are important to me.  I like being with you. I want to share with you the things I love and I want to understand the things you love.
and lots of spreading of bark for mulch

Sometimes it is the hard times that bring you together in unique ways.  When you take time to build relationships then when the hard times hit...dumb comments, big mistakes, hurtful actions, accidentally damaging something of theirs... then the people are more important than the things or being right.

All of it seems to be about spending time and building relationships.  Its the little things that slowly builds a family. Its the daily interactions, the chores, the conversations - long and short. It is taking time to eat together, pray together, check in and ask about their day. Its being willing to apologize, to forgive, to freely give hugs and smiles.
cake rolls for the wedding dinner

Some things we like to do include

  • backyard hot dog roasts
  • cousins over for Sunday sundaes
  • hiking in the nearby hills
  • rock climbing
  • picnics
  • boating
  • quality movies at home (I am tempted to try http://pureflix.com. They have a free month going right now)  I love movies that celebrate family, faith, life and leave you feeling good.
  • service projects
  • Sunday dinner with the married kids coming home.
  • game night with old fashion card games or guesstures.
  • Learning a new game
  • watching a sport event that one or more of us is in
  • supporting concerts, recitals, performances
  • vacation destinations that include visiting extended family or meeting them there.
  • shot gun shooting
  • jumping on the trampoline
  • playing kick ball at the park
  • flying a kite
  • visiting baby animals
  • floor ball at the church gym
  • enjoying a good read aloud or listening to an audio book.
  • a drive up the mountains to see the leaves
  • camping
We do live in a small community. There are not lots of choices of places to go and pay for fun but we have learned to make our own fun.  There is so much to do and enjoy if you just look around, find something that interests someone and you may find a passion for a new activity that you can do together or support each other in.


No comments:

Bye, Sarah Rose

  Peter and Rachel's baby girl came too soon and was born with a difficult heart condition on November 13, 2025.  Today, we mourned our ...