Saturday, October 11, 2008

Frugal fun

In case you hadn't notice and didn't hear in conference--We are in difficult times. I personally have been noticing and doing what I can to cut costs. I thought I would share some of the things I am doing from time to time. In an effort to lower our natural gas bill, we have not yet turned the heat on. We have been blessed with a warm Fall and so that has been easy so far. We have started having a fire in the kitchen first thing in the morning where we read scriptures and have breakfast. Breakfast? Yes, that has changed also. I have been happily surprised how much I save not buying cold cereal but making breakfast from my food storage. The adjustment period was short and we have a lot of good, hot breakfasts. We are also working to get a wood burning stove in the basement and of course, my hard working men of the family have been busy harvesting wood to burn. They are up the mountain again today to get more fire wood.
There is another way I am fighting the gas prices. I have discovered the joy of hang drying my laundry. During the heat of the summer it did go much faster but it does still work. I end up hanging a lot of it in my bedroom on a folding laundry rack from Walmart. It is taking longer to dry inside but I just make sure I do a load (or two on sunny days) every day and I manage to keep up. I do give in to drying towels in the dryer. They are so much softer but I may try hang drying them and then just throwing them in the dryer for a few minutes before folding to soften them up.
I have enjoyed finding others who are also cutting cost on line. Here are some links that I have found http://theprudenthomemaker.com and http://www.frugalabundance.com . They may not be your style but the spark some ideas that may help in your kitchen to save money.

5 comments:

amberjill said...

thanks for sharing those. i've been looking online at a website i heard about on oprah. its called www.couponmom.com she has a lot of resources. i just bought some gift certificates for us to go out to eat with, when we actually do go out to eat. I spent $20 and got $100 worth of gift certificates. They also have coupons for retail stores and grocery stores. kinda cool. i agree with your title, frugal fun. it has been kinda fun finding others ways of doing things.

Julie said...

Hey you got me thinking... I should start doing some of that stuff. In Taiwan they don't even have dryers. They hang up everything and its a lot easier on the wear and tear. Thanks for your thoughts.

Natalie said...

Hey good ideas!

Bluebird & Company said...

Yeah, those are good ideas!
I really should hang my laundry too....But seeing as I haven't done laundry in 4 months, I'll pass the good idea on to Heber... Maybe he'll like that idea too! :) *smile* *wink, wink*

Kimmie said...

I was just thinking about this...and wished that I had done this when I lived there...I do hang dry my clothes but I am lucky to be going into Summer again. I wish you luck and hope others follow your lead.

Bye, Sarah Rose

  Peter and Rachel's baby girl came too soon and was born with a difficult heart condition on November 13, 2025.  Today, we mourned our ...