Sunday, January 9, 2011

Going no-poo and other simplifying

Strange way to say it but in the fall I read about a new way to wash my hair on simplemom.net with out shampoo.  I waited until after family pictures to try it not knowing what the transition period might be like.  It was actually a rather smooth transition and I am still enjoying the results.  I  have had some family members tell me that my hair has more life.  I like that. I use a ketchup bottle for the soda water and a spray bottle for the vinegar.

A couple of weeks later I tried the skin care oil cleansing method.  A very new idea but intriguing. It too seems to be working.  I didn't dare tell anyone for a while but my daughter found out and she tried it.  She has struggles with blemishes and feels like her face has never been so clear and doesn't feel dry.  That is really saying something in our dry cold climate.

Although this whole experiment has made me feel a bit "crunchier" than I had been, I love it.  I would say that there has been a couple of adjustment periods but it is working and it is so cheap.  I feel like I am doing something very good for me and it isn't taking a chunk out of our family budget.  In fact as I start using it on the kids I will actually be saving money for all of us.  It make sense to me that taking care of our selves should be simple.  It shouldn't require chemistry degrees and lots of money.  It is so freeing to find natural ways to run my home.  Next I'm going to try dish washing detergent.  The store bought doesn't seem to do a good job and we go through a lot.  I haven't gotten brave enough to make my own deodorant but it is on the list.

New resolutions include new ways of doing the same old thing, especially when it is cheaper and better!

Grateful:

3 comments:

Hu.Ge.Lu said...

Okay, I'm going to get brave and try it. Also, I need more information on the homemade deodorant. I need something that I don't react to and the last batch was fine for about a week and haven't been able to use it since. I am hoping to contact someone who has more experience. Thanks, and as always, YOU ARE AMAZING!!!!
Shelly

Natalie Nicole said...

How'd you know i was just thinking about calling you for all the info again?! We're headed into town on Tuesday and I plan to pick up the things I need to give it all a try myself- wish me luck!

Anonymous said...

My daughters at college read this before I did and called me from the store so they could get what they needed. I'm excited to try it. Thanks
Laurie

Bye, Sarah Rose

  Peter and Rachel's baby girl came too soon and was born with a difficult heart condition on November 13, 2025.  Today, we mourned our ...