Saturday, January 22, 2011

work

I need work.  I need to submit to work.  I need to do more work.  I need to teach my children work.  I need to establish a house of order and this takes daily work.  It requires the mundane, the simple, the hard effort, the organizing, planning, persuading.  It is better when I remember it is a blessing to work.  It is easier when I remember it is a service to those I love the most.

Moses 5:1
And it came to pass that after I, the Lord God, had driven them out, that Adam began to till the earth, and to have dominion over all the beasts of the field, and to eat his bread by the sweat of his brow, as I the Lord had commanded him. And Eve, also, his wife, did labor with him.


My Adam working
Work, given to Adam and Eve blesses there lives with purpose, perspective, and meaning.  It is through the simple work that I can find fulfillment.  I find the internet a major distraction.  I check my emails too often.  I love reading a really good blog or article.  It is distracting me from the work I was sent to do -- yet I learn so much.  (I wish the time didn't seem to speed up when I enter the world wide web.)  So I am trying to refocus.  I no longer check blogs in the morning.  I have been waiting until lunch.  It is not working.  I still spend too much time away from my children.  

I was blessed to find this article open on my computer today President Uchtdorf Of Things that Matter Most.  I was reminded, again, of my need to focus, to be there for my children.  They are my work at this time.  Though I enjoy and learn from my readings I need to refocus on those things that matter most.

I think most of us intuitively understand how important the fundamentals are. It is just that we sometimes get distracted by so many things that seem more enticing.
I recognize the fundamentals of scripture study, prayer, service.  I consider all these things to be things I need to work out.  I need to work to make time for them.  I need to work on caring for my family so that we can all treasure the time we have to study and learn.
 The holy scriptures and the spoken word of the living prophets give emphasis to the fundamental principles and doctrines of the gospel. The reason we return to these foundational principles, to the pure doctrines, is because they are the gateway to truths of profound meaning. They are the door to experiences of sublime importance that would otherwise be beyond our capacity to comprehend. These simple, basic principles are the key to living in harmony with God and man. They are the keys to opening the windows of heaven. They lead us to the peace, joy, and understanding that Heavenly Father has promised to His children who hear and obey Him.
and   focus on the significant, lift up our eyes, and truly see the things that matter most.
I don't want to miss the "experiences of sublime importance" because I think that I need the internet to teach me how to be a better mom.  I want to return to the simple basics of study and prayer.  I want to be able to expect revelation for my life and my family.  I want to see the miracles that come when we are doing all that we can to submit to the will of our Heavenly Father.   
I don't want to miss these moments by being distracted.

I thoroughly enjoyed kneading a batch of artesian bread for a mom's luncheon we recently had at my house.  I mixed by hand the batch of blueberry muffins.  It was work.  My arm got tired but it felt good and brought me joy.  Simple work that I want to teach my children.  Teach them how to do things, fundamental things, and not be afraid of the effort or time spent in worthwhile endeavors. 
Yes, work needed here

we invited the boys to help

Because this sweet girl had been a great, fun aunt while J was visiting.

I have had many good examples of people working more with their children, I just haven't properly implemented.  This is the year to work together.  

I love when they forget this is work and do a nice job on the details, like putting the furniture in order

success!
Goals for work include
  1. cleaning and organizing
  2. studying and sharing insights
  3. spending time (lots of it) together
  4. building relationships - with God, family, fellowman, and self.
Grateful
  • family work
  • clean bedrooms
  • DI trailers coming to take away our junk
  • quiet early mornings for reading

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rebecca, you give me such insights. I'm struggling with things and you seem to help me put then into perspective. Thanks so much. I find myself more drawn to technology, but I don't want to miss the little moments, that are here and then gone. Life is to short and we have to be aware of every moment.. . and make sure we make the best choice.

Bye, Sarah Rose

  Peter and Rachel's baby girl came too soon and was born with a difficult heart condition on November 13, 2025.  Today, we mourned our ...