Saturday, February 23, 2008
Homemaker
Lately the subject of homemaker/mother has been coming up. It seems it is not a popular thing with "the world", and yet, I feel like there are more and more women choosing to stay home and raise their own children. The trick these days seems to be that there are not a lot of role models or resources or support. It is like they are pioneering the home front once again in our modern world. On Friday the middle school sponsored a career day. The teacher in charge happens to be a good conservative man. For several years now he has tried to get support to have one of the guests that comes in to talk about their career be about being a homemaker. He was met with a lot of resistance. This year he just did it anyway and invited some great homemakers to come and share about what they do (thank you Bridget and Amy). It's like we are the silent ones keeping society progressing. We were also discussing and looking for a role model of a great mother in a movie. I challenge you to think of some. Let me know of a movie where Mom is honored, stays at home, enjoys taking care of home and family. I thought of Swiss Family Robinson, Natalie suggested Little Women, but mostly parents are belittled and looked down on. Mom is generally not in the picture at all. It is a sad thought to realize that such an incredibly important role in society is ignored and not encouraged in our young women. C. S. Lewis stated: "The homemaker has the ultimate career. All other careers exist for one purpose only-and that is to support this ultimate career." I got this quote from an interview with Daryl Hoole recently. She wrote the book The Art of Homemaking in the 1960's and has a new book out about the same kinds of things. We need this. When I was called as RS president my bishop's concern for the women of the ward was that they don't know how to take care of their homes and wanted me to help them (that was a little scary and overwhelming and I must admit I came a bit short). Our church leaders are supporting us more in these sacred roles. I am so grateful. We need strong women in the homes doing great things and we need be there for each other not competing but supporting. I love being a woman, mother, and HomeMaker. I am grateful my husband supports the "ultimate career" and I am grateful that my daughters also want this career. The future is bright and God will bless us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Bye, Sarah Rose
Peter and Rachel's baby girl came too soon and was born with a difficult heart condition on November 13, 2025. Today, we mourned our ...
-
We have a community dance group. We meet at the church three times a week for an hour, do yoga, ballet, tap, aerobics, clogging, pilates, a...
-
Sending Debbie off to the CCM in Mexico to learn to teach the gospel of Jesus Christ in Spanish. Milt and I talked about how this time is ...
-
We have managed to make 25 cake rolls this last month. We are serving a delicious cake roll with strawberry cream cheese filling. They are...
2 comments:
AMEN!!
Yes, I love your thoughts. I am glad that I was able to do it most of the time.
Post a Comment