Sunday, October 3, 2010

We Thank Thee, O God

This morning we are in the middle of the world wide General Conference of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  The speaker are many but in my heart where I hear those messages specific for my I am hearing an increased need to know the words of my living prophet and to act on them.

It began last week at the General Relief Society meeting where President Thomas Monson spoke about the need to love one another, look for the best in each other and not be so quick to judge.  The Lord knows women well.  We judge.  We compare.  We can be very unkind in our thoughts of others and of ourselves.

Yesterday morning began with President Monson welcoming us to General Conference.  He shared temples being built and to be built.  He spoke of missionary work - the young men, young women, and then the older couples.  I feel gratitude for my parents who are currently serving their second mission and my inlaws who have also served.  President Monson said that I need to be preparing for the day when I can serve with my sweetheart a full time mission to spread the gospel of Jesus Christ, to love, serve, and work hard in that special callings.  I am committing to get my own Preach My Gospel and study with my husband (Honey, I don't think I can wait until Christmas for this one.).  We need to know this missionary handbook, we need to prepare for the future, and we are now preparing our own children to fulfill their priesthood duty to serve as missionaries.  I have wanted to get out of debt, to get our finances in order.  I now have another motivation to  put our finances in order so that we will be able to support ourselves on a mission/missions some day.

So in those first few minutes I already have some big assignments in following the prophet but immediately after President Monson spoke the Tabernacle choir sang We Thank Thee, O God, for a Prophet.  It was sweet to me that the words of this song bore witness to me of the blessing of having prophets and my need to follow them.

19
We Thank Thee, O God, for a Prophet

Brightly

1. We thank thee, O God, for a prophet
To guide us in these latter days.
We thank thee for sending the gospel
To lighten our minds with its rays.
We thank thee for every blessing
Bestowed by thy bounteous hand.
We feel it a pleasure to serve thee
And love to obey thy command.

2. When dark clouds of trouble hang o’er us Which I have been feeling
And threaten our peace to destroy,
There is hope smiling brightly before us, For which I am so grateful
And we know that deliv’rance is nigh.
We doubt not the Lord nor his goodness.
We’ve proved him in days that are past. He has never let me down
The wicked who fight against Zion
Will surely be smitten at last.

3. We’ll sing of his goodness and mercy.
We’ll praise him by day and by night, I will praise him in the midst of each day
Rejoice in his glorious gospel,
And bask in its life-giving light. I want my path to be lit with his light, following his way
Thus on to eternal perfection
The honest and faithful will go,
While they who reject this glad message
Shall never such happiness know. I want to be so careful not to reject this glad message.  I don't want to miss any of the joys or happiness that the Lord has in store for me.  

Text: William Fowler, 1830–1865

Music: Caroline Sheridan Norton, 1808–ca. 1877

My heart continued to rejoice as my mind listened and recognized the many truths being shared throughout the  day through those leaders and apostles chosen for this day and time to give direction to the Lords people.  I am so excited to continue learning and hopefully progressing as I learn to rely more completely on the Lord and his ability to help me follow his prophets.

It is time to listen again.  Please join me or listen later.  Pray and know God's will for you too.

2 comments:

Elise said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts mom, i too am loving conference and i'm feeling so grateful! Life is so good. Love you

Natalie said...

Conference was wonderful. I do love that we know that there is a living prophet on the earth- what wonderful news! And to hear his words and the words of the others of the Lords servants was great. Thanks for also inspiring me to do and be better!

Bye, Sarah Rose

  Peter and Rachel's baby girl came too soon and was born with a difficult heart condition on November 13, 2025.  Today, we mourned our ...