Monday, October 25, 2010

Why Halloween?

I love Fall.  I love Autumn leaves crunching under foot.  I love harvesting the garden, apples, winter squash.  I love soups, warm bread, hot cereal, pies.  I love stocking my shelves with food for the winter.  I love apple bobbing, corn husking, hay bales climbing to the sky.  I love donuts on a string, dinner after dark, warm baths and reading at night.  I love wearing layers of clothing and bundling up to go outside.  I love the rain that keeps me inside.  I love Thanksgiving and all it entails.

 
I am frustrated that Halloween is stuck in the middle of such a beautiful season and sucks the joy right out.  I have tried to downplay Halloween.  I have tried to attend harvest parties where scary costumes were not welcome.  I enjoy the opportunity to visit with neighbors and friends, I just wish Halloween was not the reason.  We like dressing up.  I have our dress ups available year round - they are not for Halloween.  Doodle wears a different costume at least some time almost every day.  My frustration is how to celebrate Autumn, harvest, good friends and gratitude with out feeling like I'm trying to replace Halloween.  I want it to stand on its own.

Thank you Hansens for the apples!

I was recently driving through some bigger cities near by and my anti-Halloween sentiments grew as the size of buildings dedicated to Halloween grew.  There are warehouses dedicated to Halloween which is celebrating evil.  I don't understand how so many of us can be deceived because of the pleasant twist we try to put on it.  I don't know why it is so hard sometimes to listen to my heart.  Maybe it is because so much of the world is shouting in my face.  The decorations, the sales, the people wanting to know what my kids are going to be for Halloween, the trunk or treats that load up our children with everything we know they shouldn't be eating, the adrenaline rush of being scared by movies, or haunted houses, or scary stories.  I believe the divide is growing wider as the popularity of Halloween explodes.  Here are a few more thoughts for you linked on this blog.  There are two links, check them both and share your thoughts.  We also have Moroni 7.

Let's refuse Halloween.  Join me in choosing better and not giving in to the traditions of old with all the yuckiness of "new and improved, gorier and more realistic, cute but still evil" stuff.  There has to be better ways of bringing people together.  Let's stand for something good!

9 comments:

The Peterson 5 said...

Fall is wonderful, but so is Halloween. It doesn't have to be yucky & Scary. Refusing Halloween is refusing childhood...it so fun for the kids to dress up & go to any house & they generously give you a treat! Like with anything you sometimes have to look for the "good" in things. We choose to enjoy the happiness of the holiday. I hope you have a HAPPY Halloween!!

Lara said...

We are raising our children to look for the good in Godly things, not worldly things. This isn't refusing childhood, it's fulfilling it.

Thanks for the links Becky!

Steve said...

Seriously? We weren't raised this way. I remember many fun Halloweens. Dad and Mom always made it fun. You were allowed and encouraged to celebrate this holiday as a child.

This type of negative sentiment is what killed our neighborhood trunk or treat. It was a great activity that brought the WHOLE neighborhood out to mingle and enjoy getting to know everyone. Our kids cried when it was canceled.

Why would participating in a social activity that encourages dressing up and sharing treats be 'un-Godly'? I think you're drawing conclusions.

Our kids dress up as princesses, cartoon characters, sport athletes, animals, and occasional pirates... I don't see the BAD in any of that. Some will choose scary costumes... that's their freedom... ignore it.

You can choose to be positive or negative about every holiday. Fireworks on the 4th may start fires; Eating on Thanksgiving may cause belly aches; Presents at Christmas takes away from the focus on Christ; Chocolate on Valentines gives you cavities, Bunnies on Easter... (reminds me of Debbie).

Sorry, I'm quite annoyed with this post. I think it's abuse. We let them collect as much candy as they want and we, as parents, control how much is consumed and throw the rest away.

Explore & Grow said...

I agree with you 100%!

Our family does not celebrate Halloween. There are certain holidays and traditions that have become the "foolish traditions of our fathers". The spirit will help us determine which activities we should avoid. For our family, Halloween was one of them.

Natalie said...

I love fall too, but Halloween has never been my favorite part of it, that's for sure! My favorite memories of Halloween are the parties we did with family- apple bobbing and donuts on a string and an excuse to dress up, even if it was only a little. William and I carved pumpkins last night, and that is another part of the season I really enjoy! But yes, if I were to go to the city and walk past one of the stores at the mall with all it's gory evilness, I'd definitely feel like skipping it altogether as well! But that same evil is more and more available year-round, it's not just Halloween. So I guess it's more of a reconfirmed decision to be in the world, but not of it, to enjoy the good and avoid the bad.
*and just a side note- on the college level especially I DESPISE the idea that some people have that Halloween is a chance to dress up as something they are not, and so, perfectly "good" and "modest" people will go to such extremes and sleeze and gore and somehow justify that it is ok. Grr.
Back to Fall and the season- Enjoy what you can, leave out what you can't!

Natalie said...

Oh, and CUTE pictures! Playing in the leaves is so fun!

Marilyn said...

I have to admit, I didn't realize all that is going into Holloween. This has not been my favorite holiday. Things have gotten out of hand, I think.

I just looked at the two links and it was very interesting. I would ask everyone to read them and then judge for yourself. Then comment. Lets me opened to everyone's opinion.

Bluebird & Company said...

wow. you sure have gotten a lot of feedback on this one. I just want you to know that I think you are great and you are doing a wonderful job in raising your family in which only you have stewardship over.
It's good to follow your heart even when others don't agree. It takes courage and you have plenty of that.
Halloween or no Halloween.....Hope you are having a happy one!

Bluebird & Company said...

Also, thanks for the links! I enjoyed reading them. I especially liked the fact that this time of year was when Martin Luther nailed his world-changing 95 Theses to the door of the Wittenberg church. THAT's worth celebrating!

Bye, Sarah Rose

  Peter and Rachel's baby girl came too soon and was born with a difficult heart condition on November 13, 2025.  Today, we mourned our ...